Monday, April 30, 2007

Monday in Virginia















Jim sent this update today:

First, let's talk about bungies.  Using a black rubber
bungie I picked up along the route, I am able to carry
one pannier and my helmet comfortably as I walk around
VA Beach. If all of us were to pick up one bungie
every month, and they are out there-- homeless, we
could put an end to our dependence on foreign bungies
in our lifetime.
I'm walking today because I left the bike at a shop
to have them check my rear bearings. They're not
squealing anymore (I cleaned my skewer), but I'm
having it looked at anyway. Did I mention that my
bike rack broke two welds? This morning I discovered
one screw missing, so I told the terrific people at
the shop to replace it.
I'll pick it up before 6:00 tonight and be on my way
early tomorrow to NC and the Outer Banks. The shop
guy wants me to take a different route than I charted,
and it sounds more interesting. Ocean, less traffic,
and a ferry.
I spent about 45 minutes on the beach this morning.
Hot, summery and empty of people, I feel as though
I'm doing something wrong by doing nothing.
Did I mention the turtle I saved. He must have
weighed 15 pounds and didn't like it one bit that I
picked him up from the middle of Rt 60 and "dropped"
him on the median. After realizing that his route
would continue across the northbound lane, I tried
again to pick him up, but his long necked beak was
trying hard to reach my hands. Even his claws were
able to reach and scratch me.
That's my life, and relocating plants, bungies and
turtles.

J
Photos to follow

No comments: