Saturday, May 26, 2007

End of an Odyssey

Hello Friends and Family:

I'm a bit negligent in wrapping up my
communications from the field. Arrived home in Ramsey
Wednesday night and have been chillin ever since. Got
a little work done today but nothing of consequence.

Here's the end of a long tale: I believe I left
off in St. Augustine. There I met Julie and Matt at
the A1A BrewPub. Julie tried to talk me into
accompanying them on a ghost tour, but I opted for an
early night to bed (along with the tour record three
beers I consumed with them). Great kids from Florida's
west coast. Pics of the bartenders from our afternoon
together were an attempt to catch some ghostly orbs
for Julie. We know they were there, just didn't show
themselves.

Left St. Augustine on Saturday morning, the 19th.
I hope that's right, as many dates have tended to
blend. Stopped for lunch that day in Flagler Beach.
Great shore town if you want to avoid the typical
tacky boardwalk beach. Arrived in Daytona later that
day and made it an unintended stay.

In early afternoon, still plenty of time to
continue south, I pulled into the only shade I could
find to drink, check my disobedient tire and take a
brief rest. While sitting on a bench to the right of
the somewhat pretentious Hawaiian Resort entrance, my
counterpart on the left bench engaged me in a
conversation. Seems he (Lt. Alex Moody) had recently
returned from his second tour in Iraq with the 10th
Mountain Div Reserves. Ian had been in the 10th
Mountain, so Alex was surprised to find another human
being who knew where Watertown and Sackets Harbor are.

Alex is still a mystery to me in my "People Tour",
and this is why. He had fallen asleep on the beach.
He assumed his wallet had slipped from his pocket, for
when he woke it was gone. No cards, no military
papers, no money. Friends were supposedly on their
way north from Ft. Lauderdale to rescue. I "insisted"
on buying him a drink (no really, it was my idea)
which ended up to be several for him and several beers
and chips for me. I also met a couple from Tennessee
who had had too much sun and too much refreshment.
"In appreciation" for my generosity, Alex talked me
into going to dinner with him, them, and his friends,
later -- much later, like 9:30.

Well, by 10:00, starving, I walked outside to
unsuccessfully find food, prepared a peanut butter and
raisin sandwich, and went to bed. In the morning I
called the cell phone number he had given me. "Voice
Mailbox full". The front desk had no Moody or Mooly
or other Moor registered. Really weird because he
provided so many facts about things I knew to be so.
I even reversed checked his phone number, and that
matched. No, he didn't ask for money or talk me into
investing or providing my SS#. Still curious and plan
to "Track him down" in Albany (area).

I still had about 70 miles to Ian and Michelle's,
so I informed them that I'd break it into two short,
easy days and arrive Tuesday. Bikers: you know you
can't stop once you're on a roll, so at 40ish miles I
decided to go all the way. I did stop at a bar on
Merritt Island and called Ian. His military
personality doesn't handle surprises as well as my
scattered self does, but he rushed home.

I haven't seen the photos yet. Plan to go to
Snapfish right now, but he and Michelle were outside
the house with Henry and cameras and balloons and a
winners tape for me to break. Victory party pics
included a beautiful bouquet of flowers and a bottle
of Champagne shook and sprayed at me. It was soooo
terrific. I also received a USA jersey and a
"Discovery Channel - Credit Lyonnaisse, Maillot Jaune
(Tour de France Yellow Jersey for you four wheelers).
It was so touching that my son rewarded my effort and
appreciated the accomplishment.

The last person on my "People Tour" is Chuck Web,
the politically sharpest waiter I've ever met. We
were between lunch and dinner at the Macaroni Grill in
the Orlando Airport, and he made the time to really
discuss the state of this absurd war and our absurd
administration. I guess Chuck was placed there to
take me back to reality.

Oh yes. And my delicious grandson Henry (13 mos)
is so beautiful and so amazing. Hope there's a photo
in blogspot or Snapfish for you to see him. Except
Michelle and Ian are convinced that his runny nose is
teething. Well, I'm not teething, but I've had a sore
throat and runny nose since Tuesday night. Henry's
first childhood passalong.

All in all, with a slight computer correction, I
judge 1330 miles over 24 riding days. That mileage
number is a bit false because on my four "days off" I
usually rode around to see the sites. A great
bus-man's holiday. Thanks for your interest. I loved
knowing that you were following me.

Love to all,
J

1 comment:

swoodruff said...

Greetings from Savannah!
I must admit I've not been keeping up with your blog as I planned what with school and all, but I finally looked today and was sad to see your odyssey has ended! But I'm sure it was an amazing experience and that there will be more adventures in the future. We all enjoyed your company very much here in Savannah, and you are always welcome should you ever return. We hope to keep in touch!
Sara & Jonathan