Sunday, May 20, 2007

May 14 Update

Update from Jim which was sent on May 14:

Savannah at 12:30 Monday. I feel like I cheated
because I had to ride only 42 miles. My computer
reads 36, but the road signs read 42 after I had
ridden 2+.

Cheated too because I was prohibited from crossing
the bridge into Savannah. I'm glad, because it was
long and dangerous.

Why such a beautiful bridge should sit ignobly at
the end of a perfectly crappy highway (US 170)? One
lane in each direction with an even crappier shoulder,
high speed vehicles and BIG trucks. On a two lane
road like that, my practice (Thanks Nate) is to take
the lane and force the vehicles to move left to pass
me. Works a lot better than hugging the right white
line and having the vehicles force me over. But not
on this road. Glad it's over.

Back to the bridge: When I read the "No Bicycles"
sign and examined the bridge, I fell in line. No GSP
here. I retraced my path to allow good Samaritans
room to brake and pull over, stuck out my thumb, and
the second vehicle, a gleaming white van stopped.
Thanks to Cesar Angeles. A delightful and generous
Mexican Immigrant who runs his own business, CAF
Construction. I'll ride around until I can contact my
Savannah host.

Last night I hosted Ryan Powell. I sent you his
photo yesterday. He's been walking about three weeks.
Check out his website: Aimlessmovie.com

I met him earlier Sunday on Rt 17 and gave him my
phone #. He took me up on my offer, after accepting a
ride from a Parris Island couple who dropped him at my
hotel (Comfort Inn). I provided a clean room and a
shower, so I feel as though Cesar paid back my
generosity.

More about Savannah when I discover it. Really
enjoyed Charleston, but it's pretty touristy.
Beaufort is far smaller (but touristy). Very
enjoyable. Beaufort, NC is pronounced bowefert.
Beaufort, SC is pronounced biufert.

Love,
J

No comments: